Pages

Intentional Life with Commentary

12.05.2014

Life on the Road


The Engineer and I just returned from Georgia where we spent the past several days for his work, (I know I hadn't alluded to travel in my previous post mostly because the thought of having important location details available to the whole internet just feels a little unsafe! And it would be sad to leave our lonely little apartment vulnerable to intrusion! Thankfully, our new community is great and has on-location law enforcement which was a wonderful bonus in our minds.) Anyway! I'm really looking forward to spending the weekend resting and digging in to all the boxes we left fully packed in our new apartment.

The Engineer has been required to do some travelling for work in the last couple months and as I have no particular reason to be at home alone in our apartment, I like to go with him! I imagine this wont always be possible, but for now it's how we've been able to do life together. One thing I've discovered, however, is that life on the road isn't exactly glamorous. I hadn't realized that prior to this season in my life I had viewed a traveling career as sort of awesome. You'd get to stay in nice places with full breakfasts provided for you every morning, you'd have hot coffee available to you at all times, you could leave for the day only to come back to a clean and laundered room. While all this does sound quite nice, it doesn't exactly fit into the sophisticated concept I had previously believed it to be.

One of the most unexpected challenges regarding travel is eating. After about ... oh ...one day of eating out for every meal one can start to feel just a little over it. (Not to mention bloated.) After a few days, I start to feel like the treat of eating out is gone and all I want is to be able to work in my own kitchen and make meals that are satisfying and a little more healthful.

So I've been thinking: with some traveling and hotel-living under my belt, what can I do for the next trip to ease some of the challenges that come with staying in a small confined space without a kitchen?

I've been compiling a board on Pinterest of ideas for healthy living on-the-go. I think The Engineer and I would both appreciate it if every trip we take did not end with a severe need to do some crazy cleanse and extra trips to the gym. :) I'm hoping to employ some of the ideas I've gathered for the next hotel-stay to see how they pan out and perhaps I will report back!

If you have any tips or tricks for eating on the road, I would love to hear them!



Image Source: Conde Nast Traveler via Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment