Pages

Intentional Life with Commentary

3.18.2015

Reading: Past, Present, Future

Over the last year I haven't been all that inspired to pick up a book despite the fact that I have been an avid reader for as long as I can remember. There was something wholly engrossing about the events in my life within the last twelve-months that forced me to think solely about essential life. Engagement, marriage, moving (twice!), everything felt like an all-consuming experience. Thankfully I have begun to settle into a small sense of normalcy in my small life in Alabama and along with that, I've felt the itch to read! I'd love to share with you some of the books I've read recently and what I'm planning to read next.


What I've read recently: 

House of Love by Elizabeth Cheney
This was a re-read for me, and chosen for that reason! I knew that it was a sweet, uplifting tale about a young girl who was determined to thrive despite the obstacles she faced. I read it over the long Valentine's Day weekend because I wanted something easy and cheerful to read while my husband was out of town on a business trip. 



Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
Another re-read for me, inspired by the 1999 film adaptation of the book which I saw for the first time just this month. I realized it had been long enough since my last reading of it, I couldn't remember how the movie deviated from the book! So I decided to pick it back up to analyze for myself. I'll admit though, this is my least favorite Jane Austen novel. 


I'm currently reading I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles
This was a Barnes & Noble impulse buy for me and so far, I don't regret it! I enjoy reading about events in history with a fresh perspective when they're written in novel form. This story has been incredibly intriguing so far - such an intimate look into what it was to be a royal during England's Reformation period. 

I also have a few books that I'm looking forward to reading! Here's what's next: 


Bread & Wine by Shauna Niequist
I received this book as a wedding gift and I have been meaning to read it because I haven't heard one negative review of it! It sounds like a great book to read as a newlywed. 




Hey, Natalie Jean by Natalie Holbrook
I have been looking forward to the release of this book for a while! Natalie Holbrook is a blogger over here, and I have been a regular reader for years. She is honest and raw in her writing but also a bit sassy and bold. It is a fun combination! From what she has written, I understand that the journey from blogger to published author has been quite an adventure for her! 

No comments:

Post a Comment