Pages

Intentional Life with Commentary

10.16.2014

Ode to the Neighbors


















It’s crazy how easy it is to take some of the simplest things for granted.

Our temporary living situation in Kentucky has been slightly eye opening to me when it comes to things I’ve taken for granted in previous living situations. For example: a sofa. When we move, having a sofa again will feel like such a luxury after months of camping-chair use. We’ll actually be able to sit together! What a happy, happy thought.

In addition to my impending delight in a comfy couch, I will also be a little too happy to escape the neighbor situation we have going on. I feel like I’m an eavesdropper even when I don’t want to overhear anything!

For one, the mother in the apartment below us has one powerful set of vocal chords. Really impressive. They’re used mostly for yelling at family members and sometimes the pets. Doors also seem to slam themselves in that apartment, in some cases so forcefully that the building shakes...for my part, I’m still trying to find a door in our apartment that is capable of being slammed so loudly. I’m assuming they’ve invested in solid oak plank doors or something?

One of our next door neighbors is a real gem. I simply love it when he smokes pot while I have the windows open to let in the cool fall breeze or when he plays his loud, bassy music all night long for back-to-back nights. While one night of very little sleep is tolerable, a second night makes for an extremely cranky Natalie who may or may not have filed a noise complaint. I do need to lighten up on the guy though, he’s had a really intense croopy cough for about three weeks. Because yes. I hear that too!

All-in-all my complaining is mostly bark and very little bite, and these experiences have served to help me to appreciate some of what I’ve had in the past (Comfy sofas! Quiet and friendly neighbors!). I plan to be thankful for every minute of such comforts in the not-so-distant future!

No comments:

Post a Comment